Thursday, September 19, 2013

Week 3 Reflections & Module 1 Topic

Well this week was a short one. I only worked 2 days and Tuesday we celebrated Chuseok at school by having an all day festival. I did manage to try out the game I mentioned in last weeks post again. I simplified it to go with the words we were learning in our story book. As professor Randolph had mentioned to me last week I need to find ways to make input more comprehensible. I think I did well with this....I think

Let me explain, the story book  repeated the following four words constantly; walking, running, hopping and skipping. In the first part we reviewed this vocabulary quickly because my students already know the meaning of these words but I need to make sure that they could all do the movements. Next, I made them form a circle and also decided to review our numbers by incorporating the 3,6,9 game. Every time a student fell on the number 3, 6 or nine they had to choose one of the 4 words and say it out loud. Then all the students had to skip, run, jump or hop in place. We practice our numbers until we got to 20. We repeated the process until every student had a chance to choose a word. The warm up lesson was very successful and the students really enjoyed themselves. I will definitely try it again next week but this time I would like to include more speaking on behalf of my students. I'm thinking instead of practicing numbers I will  use sentences we learned in our language classes. Then I can tie in all of our lessons together. The students will get to actually use their sentences in a new context.

Since I've been teaching in Korea I have never really sat down and planned out my lessons and I can now see how useful this process can be. My lessons are becoming more interesting for my students.

In terms of the module 1 paper I was considering discussing the three following classroom interaction categories:

-Corrective feedback: As I watched my teaching video, I noticed that many times I just let the student make mistakes without correcting them. As a teacher I don't want to discourage them from speaking but I also don't want them to continuously make the same mistakes.

-Turn taking: I always try my best to make sure that every student has a chance to speak. In my video when i ask the children what kind of bugs do they like I forgot to ask my student SJ for his answer. I'm lucky he is not a shy student and he said to me "teacher not me."

-Scaffolding: I know that as a teacher I will always help my students when they don't know the answer. In my video I've noticed that my favorite tactic for this is to start saying the word in hopes that they can complete it.

  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us. Esl teacher training online

    ReplyDelete