Friday, September 6, 2013

My reflections

Here are my answers to the questions posed by Richard & Lockhart. 

1.What did you set out to teach?
I set out to review the story book and discuss modes of transportation.

2. Were you able to accomplish your goals?
Yes, I was.

3. What teaching materials did you use? How effective were they?
I used the whiteboard for drawing and writing and the storybook .

4. What techniques did you use?
I used the classroom interactions of repetition, comprehension check, asking and answering questions 
and assistance


5. What grouping arrangements did you use?
None we did everything together.

6. Was your lesson teacher dominated?
Maybe a little but I did get the students involved in all aspects of the lesson.

7. What kind of teacher student interaction occurred?

I asked the students questions and they answered me.

8. Did anything amusing or unusual occur?
We all had a good laugh at my drawings.

9. Did you have any problems with the lesson?
No.

10. Did you do anything differently than usual?
Not really.


11. What kinds of decision did you employ?
I followed my lesson plan.

12. Did you depart from your lesson plan? If so why?

No, I didn't.

13. What was the main accomplishment of the lesson?
The students reviewed the story and forms of transportation.

14. Which parts of the lesson were most successful?
The students being able to answer my questions without hesitation. 

15. Which parts of the lesson were the least successful?

When they all speak at the same time.  16. Would you teach the lesson differently if you taught it again?
No, I think it was really successful.

17. Was your philosophy of teaching reflected in the lesson?
Yes, teaching while having fun.

18. Did you discover anything new about your teaching?
I talk a lot.

19. What changes do you think you should make in your teaching?

Talk less. Try to incorporate more games and activities.


Questions about the students

1. Did you teach all your students today?
Yes, I did.

2. Did students contribute actively to the lesson?
Yes.

3. How did you respond to different student needs?
I only have seven students therefore it makes it easier to respond to all their needs on an individual basis.

4. Were students challenged by the lesson?
I think they were. I asked them many questions.

5. What do you think students really learned from the lesson?
They learned the vocabulary words related to transportation.

6. What did they like most about the lesson?
At the end they got a worksheet and a coloring page which they love.

7. What didn't they respond well to?
Nothing really.

Questions to ask yourself as a language teacher?

1. What is the source of my ideas about language teaching?
A lot of my ideas come from the teachers I had growing up. I`ve also picked up many new ideas from some of my coworkers.

2. Where am I in my professional development?
I`m still at the beginning stages. 

3. How am I developing as a language teacher?

Im developing by taking this course and always being open to criticism and new ideas.


4. What are my strengths as a language teacher?
I`m fun and passionate about teaching. Im good at making students feel comfortable and willing to speak.

5. What are my limitations at present?
My teaching knowledge is very limited.My vocabulary needs some improvement.

6. Are there any contradictions in my teaching?
I always want them to communicate more but many times I`m the one doing all the talking.

7. How can I improve my language teaching?
By trying new ideas and keeping up-to-date with the new trends in teaching. 

8. How am I helping my students?
I try to make them understand that even if you make mistakes, I won`t judge. Just try to speak.

9. What satisfaction does language teaching give me?
I get so much satisfaction when I see and hear my students interacting with the new vocabulary that we have learnt. My biggest satisfaction is when a student starts to read. I know I have changed his life forever. I love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment