Thursday, September 12, 2013

Week 2 reflections

http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b355/Storytelling/documents/TeachingStorytelling2007.pdf

This week I decided to try 2 new ways of interacting during my storytelling time.(talking less and including an activity)

 I wanted to make sure that I spent less time talking during class time by including an activity where the students communicated more than I did. I really want my students to interact more with me and the other students. From looking at my video, I can say that I get an A+ for using repetition as a way of interacting with my students but by the end of story time I've realized, I use it way too much.

To do this, I had to do a little research to find new ways of teaching storytelling. I went on the internet and found the following article. The link is posted above. After reading the article I had a whole new outlook about teaching storytelling. I used to think of it as just a simple activity that passed time (a filler) but I realize now that there are many benefits to storytelling.

I read over this article and I had a preference for the game called Rakan-san. Before I played this game I had to adjust the game to the story we were reading. Our story involved animals, so, what I asked the children to do was each time they had to freeze into a statue they had to choose a different animal.They each took turns and they had to guess what type of animal their classmates had changed into. They really enjoyed participating in this game.

Overall it was a success, the students spoke more than I did. We need a little more practice but that's like anything new that you try. Practice makes perfect!

I was really proud of myself because working in an academy sometimes tasks get boring and redundant. I'm really excited with this new challenge of improving my teaching. I definitely felt better after teaching story time this week.

I will film myself again next week so I can see the result of my hard work.   


2 comments:

  1. Story telling sounds fun. I watched your video. Your students are so young and cute and motivated. Your animal game is great fun. I think if you make them do animals and other actions while reading or even have them say the story with a different animal or voice for certain words they already mastered it will be more fun and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thanks for the link. Soon you'll connect story-telling to INPUT, and look at ways to make INPUT comprehensible. This should fit in well with the game you describe.

    ReplyDelete