Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 6 Reflections

I just completed a fantastic week at work. Not only was I able to record my preview lesson but I also got to experience something completely new as a head teacher.Twice a year my director will observe a few of our classes and give us feedback on our teaching methods. Well this time I was invited to join her in the process. I had to observe six different classes and give the teachers feedback on their teaching methods. My first two classes I felt really awkward observing my coworkers. I've always felt like we were all at the same level and this was the first time where I really felt like I was the head instructor. Not gonna lie but my ego got a little bit of a boost this week. It felt good!

Ok let's get back to reflecting on my own teaching. I am currently trying to upload this video to Youtube as i'm typing hopefully it will be done before I am. Last Sunday, I spent a great deal of time thinking about my preview and what I would do. I took some notes and slowly started my lesson plan. When I got to work Monday morning I thought well let me give it a go. I did and I think it went pretty well. Overall I am really satisfied with my teaching.

I am proud of myself even though my lesson was somewhat teacher dominated I still got everyone in the classroom to participate in all activities such as singing and answering questions. I find it somewhat of a challenge for the lesson not be teacher dominated when teaching 6 year old students but slowly and surely I'm incorporating more pair work activities where the students must communicate with each other. I've had some great success this week with this concept. I used to think that it would be such a struggle for my students to engage in team work not only for them but for me as well but I realize now that if my instructions are clear and concise my students are very capable of achieving this task. The one thing I learnt this week was to never underestimate the capabilities of my students and my own as well. Great week at work!!!

  


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds great! Would be even better for you to understand through specific examples what exactly is changing in your techniques for delivering input and getting ss to interact with you. Consider doing this during your final presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing Siop practice and application

    ReplyDelete