Friday, December 6, 2013

Final Reflection

One major turning point in my career as an EFL instructor came when I had returned home upon completion of my first contract. I couldn't stop thinking about my students and the life I had left behind in Korea. Even though I didn't really know what I was doing as a teacher I still wanted to go back. That one year experience had changed my life. I really enjoyed spending time teaching young learners the English language. I loved watching them develop and change over that one year period. That made me decide to go back and give it another try.

My second year I really lucked out. I met a girl named Myra who really helped me understand how to help children learn. She taught me that consistency was the golden rule with children. This makes them feel more comfortable in a foreign environment. When they know what to expect they are much more comfortable in their learning environment. Their affective filter is lowered and their motivation is much higher. Creating a set routine for them that included songs and chants really inspired them to learn more. I had great colleagues at the time that loved to reflect and share their classroom experiences. Not just the negative ones but also the positive ones. We shared many great tactics and activities that helped us improve our quality of teaching. we were also rewarded every so often by a teacher of the month award that came as a cash bonus of $250. It was definitely a nice incentive to try harder. At the end of that year I felt much more comfortable as a teacher. My values and actions were lined up with those of my students. It was a great year.

In my short career as an EFL instructor I was rewarded twice by receiving the title of head instructor. This position has helped me in terms of my own career development. Johnston mentions this aspect in ch. 6. It has made me consider my values as a teacher and has created some dilemmas in my life. At work, did I want my relationship with my colleagues to change? Were some of them going to treat me differently now that I have this new position? At my first job, one older gentleman had worked for that school for more than three years and here walks in this newbie and she gets the title. In the beginning, he gave me the cold shoulder for a while until we sat down and had a long conversation or shall I say a heart to heart.Things were much better after that long chat.

On a personal level, my family back home wanted me to return  home. What shall I do? As my sister always says: "You can come and teach ESL here in Quebec.You are missing out on seeing our niece grow up ." This makes me reconsider teaching abroad sometimes. Now that I am married I need to find a way to balance everything but with career development I can find options that can satisfy all of my needs.

In terms of feeling marginalized, sometimes I feel this from my peers who like I said previously view my job at an academy as glorified babysitting. If I look at my school, the parents and students definitely don't make me feel insignificant at all. We are well paid and respected by our colleagues and directors. The focus on making profits can make you feel this way as they would hire teachers with absolutely no experience sometimes depending on how focused the institution is on making money. I've noticed a trend over the past few years where academies are starting to realize that if they invest more money into acquiring better teachers their reputation is positively affected. A better reputation means more students which in turns means more money. Things are changing slowly in certain neighborhoods.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope the trend you are noticing is true. I have kind of felt it too in a couple places I have worked. There are a lot of institutions these days that are about more than just the money. I think it's a good long term survival strategy for an academy since it should at least appear to primarily be about education.
    Unfortunately I think there is also a paradox problem here. Respecting your employees is hardly a new thing at all. I know Henry Ford wanted to pay a livable wage about a century ago. Hiring the best people for the job is just a good business practice and paying them and respecting them so they will stay around is on par with that notion. I just wonder is it all about the education? Unfortunately whenever it is a private business we can ask ourselves that.
    Is there such thing as a private school that is just about education? Most seem to consider profit. Even public schools promote ideals that aren't strictly academic, love of nation and constant political influence come to mind. Non-profit schools are usually religious based...etc.
    I really don't know if altruism exists in the world of education. Even on a more basic note with children, how many of them choose to be there. It seems most people enrolled in courses aren't doing it purely for learning sake.

    Sorry to ramble to your thread, but it made me think. It definitely seems you are working in one of the better kindergartens and that is the second place education should start (first being the home).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. SIOP Components and Features

    ReplyDelete